Make the Constitution come alive with StudentCam, C-SPAN’s annual video documentary competition!
This national contest invites all middle school students (grades 6-8) and high school students (grades 9-12) to create a 5-7 minute documentary, based on the theme:
“THE CONSTITUTION & YOU”
Choose a provision of the U.S. Constitution and create a video illustrating why it’s important to you.
- Students may compete individually, or in teams of either 2 or 3 members.
- Documentaries must contain some supporting C-SPAN video.
- Entries must thoroughly explore a variety of viewpoints related to their chosen topic.
- Students must submit their entry form and video by January 18, 2018.
C-SPAN awards a total of $100,000 in cash prizes! Students compete for a chance to win one of 150 prizes. Teachers also have the opportunity to win one of 53 Faculty Advisor prizes.
Please visit our website for teacher tips, sample lessons and rubrics, and short video tutorials to guide you through the process of creating a short documentary. You will also find a complete list of rules and requirements, as well as all past winning videos at www.studentcam.org.
Teachers, if you would like to receive a FREE printed version of our 18″x 12″ poster to display in your classroom, please email us with your preferred postal address and the number of posters you would like for us to send.
- 2018 StudentCam Poster (.PDF)
BONUS: “Behind the Scenes” Photo Contest
In addition to the $100,000 in cash prizes that will be awarded to the winning documentaries, C-SPAN is asking students to take us “Behind the Scenes” of their documentary for a chance to win one of five $100 cash prizes. Requirements include:
- Share a photograph from the production of your StudentCam documentary on social media.
- Post to your Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or Snapchat account – upload your photo, tell us about it, and include the hashtag #StudentCam2018.
- Send an attached screengrab of your social media post along with the names of all team members and the name of your school to:
- Must submit by the main competition deadline on Thursday, January 18, 2018. Five $100 prizes to be awarded in March 2018. To be eligible, students must also enter a documentary in StudentCam 2018 competition but the documentary does not have to be one of the winning videos in order to win a prize in the “Behind the Scenes” contest.
- Limit 1 eligible photograph per team/documentary.